Sheet # 126 Critical Thinking
Name: _____________________ Date_____________
Use drawings, words, or numbers to explain how you got your answer.
I have a collection of toy farm animals and I would like to fence in a rectangular area to put them in. I have only 20 centimeters of fencing.
1. Find at least 3 different rectangles that have a perimeter of 20 centimeters. Draw them, and label the sides. Give each rectangle a number so you can refer to it later.
2. Which rectangle with a perimeter of 20 would have the largest area? Explain how you know this?
3. Which rectangle with a perimeter of 20 would have the least area? Explain how you know this?
Answers for sheet # 126
1) Rectangle # 1 = 4 cm x 6 cm
2) Rectangle # 2 = 3 cm x 7 cm
3) Rectnagle # 3 = 2 cm x 8 cm
All three rectangles have 20 cm perimeter.
2) Rectangle #1 has the largest area.
3) Rectangle # 3 has the least area.