Sheet # 12/Dr. Seuss
Name: _____________________ Date_____________
Show your work.
1. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am. You do not like them, so you say. "Have you tried 24 blueberry pancakes with 48 dollops of dream whip on top of 32 green eggs and 16 ham chunks altogether," I asked. If you round these to the nearest ten and add these together, how many things would you be eating?
2. The more things that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. If you read 25 pages in 45 minutes on Monday, 25 pages in 42 minutes on Tuesday, and 25 pages in 41 minutes on Wednesday, what is the total time in hours that you read in all 3 days?
3. Poor Mayzie had a daisy sprouting right out of her hair. It grew ½ inch each day. How many inches was this daisy in 2 weeks? In 3 weeks?
4. Congratulations! Today is your day! You're off to Great Places traveling at 60 miles per hour. You're off and away! How many miles would you have traveled if it took you 5 hours and 30 minutes to get where you're going?
5. The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. It rained for 2 hours and 45 minutes on Tuesday, then it rained 1 hour and 20 minutes the next day. So we sat in the house all those cold, cold, wet days. How many hours did it rain both days?
6. The Cat in the Hat wanted to show the kids tricks. He could hold up 12 cups, 2 bottles of milk, 3 pink cakes, 1 dozen books, 1 goldfish on a purple rake. He could hold 2 toy ships and 2 dozen toy men, and with his tail he could hold a red fan. How many items were The Cat in the Hat holding all together before he fell?
7. Deep within the woods I spied a pair of pale green pants with nobody in them!!!!!! I wasn't scared. But, yet, I stopped. For if I moved I would have completed a total distance of 200 feet around the square forest. How much would each side of the forest be in feet if all four sides were equal?
8. "Cause you never can tell what goes on down below! This pool might be bigger than you or I know!" If the pool is 16 feet wide and 24 feet long, what is the total perimeter in feet?
9. Left foot, right foot feet! feet! feet! How many, many feet you meet. With 22 classmates and 1 teacher in your room, how many total feet are there in all?
10. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store." But our presents do. At Wal-Mart I spent $145.25 and at Toys R Us I spent $200.05. How much more did I spend at Toys R Us?
11. My uncle ordered popovers from the restaurant's bill of fare. "To eat these things," said my uncle, "You must exercise with great care." If my uncle burned 25 calories each mile he jogged, then how many total calories did he burn jogging 7 miles in all?
12. Fame had knocked on Mayzie's door. Now she had it all-and more. Piles of money, stacked in tens, but what is money without friends? If Mayzie gave Ralph a stack of 13 tens, Judy a stack of 24 tens, and Phil a stack of 33 tens, how much money did Mayzie give away in all?
Answers for sheet # 12
1) 120 things
2) 128 minutes
3) 7 inches and 10.5 inches or 10 and 1/2 inches
4) 330 miles
5) 4 hours and 5 minutes
6) 57 items
7) 50 feet
8) 16 + 16 + 24 + 24 = 80 feet
9) 23 people x 2 feet = 46 feet
11) 25 calories/mile x 7 miles = 125 calories
12) 70 tens